In Q1 2021 the new version of LPARKit was released. The latest version brings functionality for ‘small’ Power Servers when no HMC, no VIOS is used, and everything related to the LPAR is managed from the Virtual Partition Manager. This version can allow an user to create and manage LPARs or clone the OS from easy green screen interface.
What’s new in version 3?
This release is dedicated for basic small P05/P10 installations, where no Hardware Management Console is used, and the LAN console is used instead. In such configuration a new LPAR can be created only thru Virtual Partition Manager. With LPARKit the process is much more simplified. It provides a simply menu to create a new LPAR from the green screen.
And the interface to modify LPAR parameters, such as: memory, CPU, vCPU, etc..
The version also allow to clone the operating system between LPARs using NWSD storage. It is necessary to create a template LPAR with the gold image, which can be easy deployed to another LPAR within few minutes. The cloned LPAR starts with new IP address, hostname, system name.
Video from COMMON Europe webinar demonstrates all major functions of the tool.
On the cwalkers.com website there are regular live webinars which demonstrate the functionality.
Short summary what previous versions of the tool provide.
- Automates deployment of IBM i LPARs. Not only by creating the LPAR but it also clone the operating system on any type of infrastructure.
- Probably the closest “container” like type deployment tool for IBM i
- Isolates VIOS and the HMC interface from IBM i administrator – Many operations which could be done only via the Hardware Management Console or Virtual I/O Server, now can be performed from “green-screen” interface.
- Map/umap NPIV adapters from the green screen
- Map/unmap vSCSI disks from the green screen
- Creates NPIV reports in the spool or csv file. Very handy report, which helps to visualize how virtual vs to physical interface are connected.
- Clone IBM i OS from the template partition (Gold image) to any another new LPAR created. Cloning can be performed even on the internal storage, no FlashCopy storage is required.
The main functionality is the cloning feature. Imagine a situation when the development team is asking for new LPAR in order to test the new functionality. Or maybe they need few LPARs with different release level 7.2, 7.3 7.4. With LPARKit it is possible to quickly deploy the LPARs. It does not require the Flashcopy feature on storage, the same functionality can be achieved with the internal storage. The tool uses virtual disks on the Virtual I/O Server which allows to clone the disk image.
See the video, how the new LPAR can be easily deployed with the new IP address, new hostname, and the system name.
In Q3 version 4 is expected. This will allow almost the same functionality what PowerVC does, but everything will be managed from the IBM i. It allows:
- Create LPAR
- Manage all mapping on virtual interfaces
- Create SAN zone
- Create and attach LUNs from SVC compatibile storage.
- Clone the OS using FlashCopy mechanism.
For more information follow on cwalkers.com or Twitter @WalkersCloud